If you found yourself flowing with creativity during Leo season, it’s time to put your inventive plans to action during Virgo season. No matter your zodiac sign, August 23–September 22 is a good time to harness the energy of a Virgo and approach new projects with zeal!
If you follow astrology and read horoscopes, you know a person born between August 23 and September 22 is a Virgo. This is the sixth sign of the zodiac. You might also know that the Leo–Virgo cusp occurs August 19 to August 25. A cusp “marks the beginning of a house or a sign,” so this is the point where the astrological signs Leo and Virgo meet. The Virgo emoji ♍ usually depicts the symbol of Virgo, which resembles a letter M with a curl.
Qualities typically associated with Virgo include precision, a desire to be of service, and a sense of duty. Salma Hayek, Sean Connery, Zendaya, Keanu Reeves, and Beyoncé are all famous Virgos. That’s quite a powerful group!
There’s so much to know and love about Virgos. Read on to see if these Virgo traits match up with your personality or the special characteristics of the Virgos in your life.
What does Virgo mean?
When our ancestors looked to the skies, they thought they saw a winged maiden in the constellation. Virgo is the second-largest constellation and the only sign represented by a woman. She was known as a great goddess associated with fertility and agriculture.
In particular, the Greeks connected the constellation Virgo with the goddess of agriculture, Demeter. Her daughter, Persephone, was kidnapped by the god of the underworld (Hades), who allowed her to return to her mother every spring. This was an ancient way of explaining the seasons—Persephone went underground in fall and resurfaced in spring, and the crops grew again.
What these Virgo personality traits say about you
Virgos are known for being humble, so they won’t likely talk about their accomplishments on their own. In case the Virgo in your life hasn’t told you yet, they’ve got a lot of great qualities.
- Clear: Virgos are good communicators who know how to express themselves beautifully. They take time to think about the meaning of their words, whether in their personal lives or professionally. Not surprisingly, authors Stephen King and Angie Thomas are Virgos.
- Orderly: Skilled at critical thinking, a Virgo knows how to organize, analyze, and integrate. These leaders can be counted on to lead in a moment of crisis because they can assess a situation and take careful steps to address it.
- Reliable: Those born under this sign may seek perfection and are therefore willing to devote a lot of time and effort to their work and their passions. You can count on a Virgo to be a hard worker.
- Elegant: You can call a Virgo polished, refined, or comely. They like to present themselves attractively but are more likely to dress in a classic manner than follow the trends. Blake Lively is a Virgo, and so is Sophia Loren.
- Healthy: Someone born under this sign is likely to lead a balanced and nutritious life. Because they can commit to routines, they are suited for following fitness regimens and healthy diets.
Watch out for these Virgo personality traits
We’re all a mix of good and … not-so-positive qualities. Virgo is no different. Take stock of these words, as they may apply to you, or a Virgo you love.
- Critical: Often, the flip side of seeking perfection is fault-finding. Virgos have high standards and expect everything to be just right. Virgos may focus on what needs improved, even when something is good—maybe even great!
- Fussy: Similarly, someone who’s fussy is “hard to satisfy or please” or “full of details, especially in excess.” Virgos may find it hard to step away from their highly specific routines or habits, as they want every detail to be just right.
- Slow: You might call a Virgo delaying, stagnant, or plodding. In relationships, this sign can be slow to move forward due to a desire to be cautious.
- Worried: A Virgo can be a worrier. That’s because they’re quite concerned about the future and being prepared for it. Which leads us to our next word …
- Miserly: This is an interesting one. Because Virgos are good at being disciplined, they may also find it difficult to splurge, on themselves or others. A miser is someone who “who lives in wretched circumstances in order to save and hoard money,” but only the most extreme Virgos exhibit that trait. As elegant as they may be, Virgos often manage to avoid obsessing over the material world.
According to astrology, the signs of Capricorn and Taurus have high Virgo compatibility. Like Capricorn and Taurus, Virgo is one of the Earth signs, meaning a person born under this sign is grounded and makes a solid coworker, friend, and partner. Would you say the words listed here reflect a Virgo’s qualities?